Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Unit 3

A bit behind but, catching up. I got stuck in the vim tutor for a while and finally escaped by shutting the whole thing down, then a friend suggested :q instead of q!. Navigating in the tutor was alright and I like that you do not have to take your hands of the keyboard to move around. I am accustomed to using shortcuts in Photoshop, except there is a whole lot more commands to remember. I feel like the environment is becoming more familiar and I have a better understanding of directories and why Unix is set up differently than Windows. However I'm still scared when I do commands as super user but the snapshot feature is reassuring. Also the terminology is extensive, the words are familiar but the definitions not so much, for example one of the readings states that /proc is the directory that is used as a kernel information access hooks....so things like that are confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment